According to a report at Jambands.com, My Morning Jacket and Patagonia clothing company have entered into an agreement to make an official My Morning Jacket jacket. However, this post was on April 1. Need we say more?
The death of Jason Molina of Songs: Ohio and Magnolia Electric Company last March spawned a number of tribute albums. the latest, Farewell Transmission: The Music of Jason Molia, is set to be released on April 22, via Rock the Cause, and features performances by My Morning Jacket, Sarah Jaffe, Bro Stephen, Catherine Irwin and Nathan Salsburg & Joan Shelley, among others. A portion of the proceeds from the album will be donated to MusiCares, an organization “that provides assistance to artists like Molina, who are battling chemical dependency, depression, disability and other health issues.”
Here’s My Morning Jacket’s take on “Farewell Transmission”:
Farewell Transmission: The Music of Jason Molina Tracklist
1. “Get Out Get Out Get Out” by Squares
2. “Arm In Arm” by Memorial Electric Co.?
3. “Farewell Transmission” by My Morning Jacket
4. “Lioness” by Enemy Planes
5. “7th Street Wonderland” by Murder By Death
6. “Alone With The Owl” by Sarah Jaffe
7. “Old Black Hen” by Jonah Tolchin
8. “Leave This City” by Ben Lubeck of Farewell Milwaukee
9. “Two Blue Lights” by The Black Swans
10. “Almost Was Good Enough” by Bro Stephen featuring Jim James
11. “Didn’t It Rain” by Box Of Baby Birds
12. “Memphis Moon” by Cory Branan
13. “The Dark Don’t Hide It” by Gabriel Douglas featuring Drew Preiner
14. “I’ve Been Riding With The Ghost” by Fathom Lane
1. “Trouble In Mind (Fade To Blue)” by Memorial Electric Co
2. “I Can Not Have Seen The Light” by Matt Bauer and Heather McEntire
3. “34 Blues” by Will Johnson and Briton Biesenherz
4. “Hammer Down” by Jim and Jennie & The Pinetops
5. “Just Be Simple” by Water Liars
6. “Steve Albini’s Blues” by Catherine Irwin
7. “White Sulfur” by Nathan Salsburg & Joan Shelley
8. “Don’t This Look Like The Dark” by Wooden Wand
9. “Heart My Heart” by Luke Redfield
10. “Lioness” by Viking Moses
11. “The Big Game Is Every Night” by Bottomless Pit
12. “Hold On Magnolia” by Communist Daughter
13. “John Henry Split My Heart” by Jonny James and The Hall of Fames
Thanks to Paste Magazine for the record information.
Jessica Rothgerber Murr and her family went on the “One Big Holiday” adventure with My Morning Jacket and wrote Jim James a great big “Thank You!” letter, posted at Bluegrass Catastrophe. We are all so jealous.
Frequent My Morning Jacket collaborators The Preservation Hall Jazz Band has been added to the lineup for MMJ’s “One Big Holiday,” a four-night destination event at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya on Mexico’s Caribbean coast on January 26-30, 2014. The festival, which includes three full My Morning Jacket concerts – with, presumably, guest appearances by the PHJB at each – also features the Flaming Lips, Mariachi El Bronx and Thievery Corporation’s Rob Garza. Details:
“Only 2,500 individual, all-inclusive One Big Holiday packages will be sold. Rates range from $1,249 to $2,599 per person based on double occupancy. Included in the package is a four-night stay at the resort –- located in Puerto Aventuras, south of Playa del Carmen—access to all concerts, and all meals, drinks and activities. Attendees will receive a download code for each performance to be redeemed by LiveDownloads.com.
Tickets are on sale now; go to MMJOneBigHoliday.com for tickets and information.
My Morning Jacket has added the Flaming Lips to the roster of the One Big Holiday event in Mexico. Also on the list are New Orleans’ Preservation Hall Jazz Band, L.A. punk band the Bronx’s offshoot Mariachi El Bronx and a DJ set from Thievery Corporation’s Rob Garza.
Stay up-to-date on the event here
For more information, head over to http://mmjonebigholiday.com/
My Morning Jacket featuring Merrill Garbus (of tUnE-yArDs) and Brittany Howard (of the Alabama Shakes) performed their cover of Fela Kuti’s “Trouble Sleep Yanga Wake Am” last night on Late Night With Jimmy Fallon. The cover is part of a tribute compilation, Red Hot + Fela, organized by the AIDS awareness group Red Hot.